Annual Pro Membership Meeting Minutes
July 26, 2015
Welcome/Roll Call: Rod Gendron, Stacey Contakos, Mary Madore, Valerie Jackson, Heidi Hall, Heather McGeehan, Kristen Dowler, Melody Gammon, Alexis Evans, Delani Evans, Belisa Harriman, Cynthia Ranco, Roxanne Deshaies, Donna Landau
State Chair Carol Hamilton Brewer was unable to attend because of a recent surgery. Vice Chair Roxanne Deshaies presided in her place.
Recognition: Congratulations to 2015 State Service Award Recipient – Mary Madore and 2015 Maine JO Club of the Year – Maine Academy of Gymnastics.
Mary Madore and Kate-Lynn Poulin have stepped down from their positions on the State Administrative Committee. Thank you for your service.
It was decided at the SAC meeting in June to reduce the committee size from 7 to 5 for better efficiency:
- Roxanne Deshaies – vice chair
- Donna Landau – secretary/score verifier/senior scholarship
- Jamian Walker – optional levels rep
- Delani Evans – compulsory levels rep
- Kristen Dowler – xcel rep
- Carol Hamilton-Brewer and Roxanne Deshaies – awards/apparel reps
- Carol Hamilton-Brewer – fundraising
State Chair Report:
- Athlete membership up 25%
- There will be 3 qualifying sectionals this season:
- Region VI – Level 8 regional qualifiers – top 7 athletes at states regardless of age. No age group state teams. There will be 2 all-star teams derived from percent of percent.
- Level 7 regional qualifiers – top 7 athletes at states regardless of age, there will be 2 all-star teams derived from percent of percent.
- Level 9/10 age groups have been expanded
- Xcel divisions and regional qualifiers – same as last year
- State website: feedback was – more professional look; USA Gymnastics should be included on home page; Xcel state scores were missing.
- All state-run meets will use Meet Maker to register athletes. Also use MM for club dues payment, regional apparel payment
- Membership approved $100 per club dues. Which will be payable on Meetmaker
- Discussion and approval for a Champions Banquet to be held on April 30. Participants would be AA state champions and regional qualifiers. Their costs would be covered by state fundraising. Others would pay for themselves.
- Two fundraising clinics to be scheduled for fall 2015: one for September 27, at Dudziak’s with UNH coaches and team, Donna Landau contacted Ed Datti and he has just confirmed that this will work for them. The second clinic for we tried to get Mike Lorenzen, but have not heard anything so we are trying to get some other coaches and more information will be available about this as soon as we know anything. The weekends that we are looking at are 10-10/11 or 10-17/18.
NAWGJ-ME Report: None. Judges haven’t had their meeting. The Maine NAWGJ chair is Deb Smith; judge assignor is Heidi Hall; JUST CONFIRMED: NAWGJ-ME meeting will be Sunday, September 13 at Leaps N Bounds, time TBA.
R & P:
- National Vault Changes for Level 8: spotting on post flight = 1 point deduction but does not void the vault. If a gymnast elects to do 2 vaults, the second vault is the score that counts even if it is a lower score. There are also changes in the works for Level 7 for the 2017 season. Will keep you posted.
- Age Divisions will be set once rosters are complete and they will be the same for the season for all state-run meets.
- State Qualifying scores -voted and approved
- Levels 2/3 and Bronze – no minimum qualifying score
- Levels 4/5 – 31.00 AA
- All optional levels and the rest of Xcel – 32.00 AA
- To qualify for regionals – 34.00 at states (Level 7 & up; Xcel silver & up)
- Awards – voted and approved:
- All state qualifiers will receive a state leotard
- Instead of participation medals for States, everyone will receive an AA trophy
- At sectionals, everyone will receive an AA participation medal – go out 100%
State Calendar and Bids:
- Bids for sectionals and Stated meets must be returned to Carol by 8/31
- 9/13 – NAWGJ-ME meeting at Leaps N Bounds, time TBA.
- 9/26 & 27 – Rising Stars, New Image in NY, compulsories & optionals
- 9/27 – Clinic with UNH coaches and gymnasts, all levels and divisions at Dudziak’s – INFO OUT SOON!
- 10/4 – Rising Stars, Gym & More, MA, Lvs. 1-5
- 10/10 & 11 or 10/17 & 18 – Clinic info still TBD
- 10/23 – Working Together for Nationals, Aim High, RI
- 10/24 & 25 – Rising Stars, Aim High, RI, Lv. 6 and above
- 11/8 – Bright Raven, Rochester, NY, compulsory and optionals
- 11/20-22 – Gobble Wobble Meet, Dudziak’s, all levels
- 12/5 – 207 Meet, gymNation, Lvs. 2-5 and Bronze Xcel
- 12/11-13 – American Flyers Cup, Maine Academy, XL Sports World, 200 North Street Saco, ME 04072
- Judges north and south clinics/critiques – dates and locations TBA
- 1/9 & 10 – Sectional #1, Waterville, Y
- 1/31 – Fur, Feathers & Fins Meet, Leaps N Bounds, Lvs. 2-8 & Xcel
- 2/5-7 – Frost Bite Invite & Sectional #2, Biddeford, hosted by Dudziak’s
- 2/6 – Recycle Meet, Leaps & Bounds, Lvs. 2-8 & Xcel
- 2/28 – Qualifying Meet, Andy Valley, all levels
- 3/5 – Save the Date – High School Championships, grades 8 – 12, site TBA
- 3/12 & 13 – Spring Fling, gymNation, non-sanctioned Lvs. 1-4 & Xcel; sanctioned Lvs. 2-5
- 3/18-20 – Lv. 9/10 States and Sectional #3, site TBA
- 3/25 – Maine Regional Team Clinic/Critique, 4-8 PM, Dudziak’s with in-state and out-of-state judges
- 4/2 & 3 – States, Lvs. 2-8 and Xcel, site TBA
- 4/8-10 – Level 9/10 Regionals, Sprinfield, MA
- 4/16-17 – Level 7/8 Regionals, site TBA
- 4/29-5/1 – Level 9 Easterns, Virginia Beach, VA
- 4/30 – POSSIBLE Champions Banquet, site TBA
- 5/7-8 – JO National Championships, Ft. Worth, TX
- 5/21-22 – Xcel Regionals, site TBA
- 7/8-10 – USA Gymnastics Congress/Women’s Olympic Trials, San Jose, CA
- 8/5-7 – Region 6 Congress, Providence, RI
- 8/5-21 – Olympic Games, Rio
- 12/6 – Boys Meet, gymNation, Lvs. 6 and under
- 1/23-24 – Boys Frost Bite Invite, Dudziak’s
- 2/28 – Boys Meet, North Atlantic
- Stacey Contakos initiated a discussion on bringing back high school gymnastics in Maine. She is working on a 5-year plan to get 10 schools or more to recognize gymnastics as a varsity sport. Everyone in attendance was enthusiastic about this happening. She will begin working with Carol and New Hampshire on first steps. Meanwhile, save the date, 3/5 for a High School Championship meet for grades 8-12. More soon.
- Send all meet results in ProScore to score verifier: Donna Landau, 29 Chickadee Lane, Kennebunk or email firstname.lastname@example.org. It is the responsibility of the host club to send meet results for in-state meets to Donna. Clubs who compete out-of-state are responsible for sending meet results to Donna
- Heidi Hall is the state judge assignor. Send completed forms to her plus $3 per judge per meet to her a/s/a/p in order to get judges in a timely fashion. Heidi Hall, P.O. Box 385, Sangerville, ME 04479. Checks are payable to NAWGJ-Maine.
Meeting Adjourned: 11:15 AM